Why is Penn State IT pursuing cloud services?
Which cloud providers are available through the Cloud Services offerings?
Who can have access to the Cloud Services offerings?
What are some of the advantages of using Penn State IT Cloud Services?
Moving to cloud storage and computing from physical servers provides cost reductions, higher security, and an improved user experience. Some additional benefits faculty and staff members receive when using University offerings include:
- Enterprise agreements with contractual addenda including intellectual property and HIPPA protections.
- Penn State Cloud Services is a multi-cloud offering from the industry leaders in cloud computing. We maintain strong vendor relationships with quick access to vendor support resources.
- Our team provides consulting engagements and enterprise project support, both focused on cloud education and awareness across the unversity.
- Hybrid cloud connectivity provides access to on-premise systems and services. Data transfers from cloud to campus systems are typically covered by the Data Egress Waivers provided by each vendor..
- Account management through Penn State Identity and Access Management.
- Scalable on-demand computing resources to meet various jobs and workloads.
- Pay only for the individual services you need, for as long as you use them, and without requiring long-term contracts or complex licensing.
What is the Data Egress Waiver?
Where can I find training resources for Penn State Cloud Services?
Which public cloud provider should I choose?
There are various criteria that should be evaluated to select the right provider and varies depending on the workload. The Cloud Services team is willing to help in this selection. Contact us to discuss the best location for your workload.
What information can be stored in the Cloud Services offerings?
We take security and compliance requirements seriously; we comply with all University policies and controls. We collaborate regularly with the Office of Information Security (OIS) and other organizations within the University to protect you, your data, and University assets to the best of our abilities.
That said, security is a shared responsibility.
- Through our current agreements, our selected cloud vendors are considered a “School Official” for purposes of FERPA, and will comply with all associated FERPA regulations.
- We currently have Business Associate Agreements (BAA) in place for the Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform offerings. There is no current BAA with the AWS offering and, because of that, HIPAA data should not be referenced through this service.
The Penn State Cloud Services offerings are approved for the storage of High information but require an Authority To Operate (ATO). For more information and to begin your ATO process, visit the Security Enclave page.
How do I connect my Penn State cloud account to an on-premise Penn State resource?
To connect with an on-premise resource that utilizes a private RFC 1918 address space, Contact the Penn State Cloud Services Team.. Let the team know how much IP space you need and we will setup a managed, cloud-native service that will provide private connectivity from your cloud network to the on-premise network.